Liptovská Mara
   Text    Map    Map 2    Google Map

    Liptovská Mara is a water-dam in the middle of the Liptov region. It was named according to a village that was situated on its bottom and flooded in 1975. The only thing that remained was a small gothic church in the settlement Havránok. The church was built in the second half of the 13th century and rebuilt in the 15-17th century. Before it was flooded, its most precious architectonic monuments and paintings were moved to an open-air-museum in the Pribylina village.
    Liptovská Mara was an important settlement already in the pre-historic times. Archaeological research proved that it was inhabited already in paleolit. We have findings also from the Younger Bronze Age (Púchovská culture), Younger Roman Age and from Great-Moravian Times. Already in the 12. century it was the most important trade-centre in the Liptov region.
    The church with rectory were built in the 13th century and existed till the 18th century. Official municipal meetings were often organised in the village and in Partizánska Ľupča. An archive of official documents was founded in the village in the 17th century. A falsifer of royal documents, Ján Literát from Madočany, was judged and executed here in 1390.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy