Važecká jaskyňa (Važecká Cave)
   Text    Map    Google Map


    The Važecká Cave is situated in the western part of the village Važec in the valley of Biely Váh (White Váh) in the area called Pod vŕškami. In 1972 it was declared as a national protected nature formation. It was created in the blue-grey Triassic calcites. Entrance into the cave lies at the altitude of 784 m, about 7 m above the level of the Biely Váh river (White Váh). The cave consists of horizontal tunnels and halls created by erosion of the Biely Váh river (White Váh). The river silts of granite grits demonstrate this fact. Upper layers make calcite and dolomite grits covered by clay where were found remains of cave bear bones. The cave is rich on stalactite and stalagmite formations - purely white and still growing stalactites, stalagmites and stalagnates. Little atoll lakes and wall waterfalls are also remarkable.
    The cave was discovered by Ondrej A. Húska on 8 July 1922, who was born in the village Važec. Academic painter František Havránek rented it, arranged it and as of 1928 he leaded visitors using a carbide lamp. In 1953, a national company Turista took the cave over and equipped it with introduced electric lights, too. It was opened for the public on May 1, 1954.
    A cottage and a restaurant are in front of the cave entrance.

MAPS:
                     

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                   







Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy