Liptovský Hrádok
   Text    Map    Google Map

    It is a favourite tourist centre situated in the northern part of the Liptov region. It is also a suitable starting point for the hikes to the Nízke Tatry (Low Tatras). In the town there is a workstation of the Low Tatras National Park administration. Small villages such as Dovalovo, Liptovský Peter and Liptovská Porúbka are a part of the Liptovský Hrádok district.
    In the 13-th century, on the land of Liptovský Hrádok, there was a settlement Belisko and a pre-historic burying ground of sc. Lužitská culture. The castle Liptovský Hrádok is from the year 1341 when it was a part of the royal estates. In 1433 it was conquered by Husits (protestants fighting for the ideas of Ján Hus). Since the 15-th century it had various owners changing quite often one by one. A renaissance manor-house was built next to the castle in 1600. During uprisings in the 17-th century the castle was damaged. After the fire in 1803 only the manor-house was repaired in 1930.
    The settlement Mravník arose next to the storage houses of salt, copper, wood and iron, at the place of the former settlement Belsko. In the second half of the 18-th century several companies of forest industry, metallurgical and iron processing industry, a sawmill, and in 1803-1813 an armoury arose here. By the end of the 18-th century the settlement was given the name of the castle.
    At the beginning of the 19-th century it became a privileged town with right to organise open markets. For the villages in surroundings the village was a cultural and trade centre already in the 18-th century. Also rafts were made in Liptovský Hrádok. Halves of rafts were made here, transported to Ružomberok, where they were joined together. Then they were used for transporting woods, shingles, salt, iron, copper, cheese, plums, cabbage, healing herbal oils and weapons down the river Váh and Danube.
    In the town, there is a gothic castle with a renaissance manor-house and a classicistic church with wall-paintings from the year 1790. The interior of the church is a rare combination of interior with exterior (main altar, baptistery, choir and organ).

        Liptov    Západné Tatry       


Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy