Partizánska Ľupča
   Text    Map    Google Map

    The village is situated at the river Ľupčianka in the protected area of the Low Tatras National Park (NAPANT).
    A lot of findings from the Younger Bronze Age were found here. The first written reference about the village is from the year 1252 in the foundation document of the Turčiansky convent. In 1270 it gained royal privileges from the king Stephen V. such as the right to: elect its own reeve and some other economic and judicial privileges. As a result of the influence of the troops of J. Hus followers in Likavka in the 15-th century, originally a German town (till 1946 called German Ľupča) became Slovak. Now we have evidence that gold was mined here already before the arrival of German colonists (especially in Magurka). Crafts and trade were quite developed already in the 15-th century. Ľupča was under the rule of the Liptov Old Castle and from the middle of the 15-th century of the Likavka Castle, although was situated on royal estates. Only in the 17-th century it gained independence. Guilds started to arise in the 16-17-th century and in the 19-th century there were already 21 guilds in the village. From that time forward the village started to be on the decline. Guilds of crafts were not able to compete with industrial production. The local mines were closed in the second half of the 19-th century. People became farmers and woodcutters, quite a lot moved somewhere else.
    In the village there are still some yeomen houses, originally built in the renaissance style, rebuilt in the 18-th and 19-th century, a renaissance local pub, a neo-classicistic Evangelic church from the year 1887 with a picture of Crucifixion on the main altar (made by P. Bohúň). At the cemetery, there is a Roman-Catholic church from the year 1263, rebuilt in the Renaissance style in the 17-th century and in the Baroque style in the 18-19-th century. Two gothic portals remained in this building and in the sacristy. There is a fragment of gothic side altar with paintings of saints.
    A gothic Roman-Catholic church is the most dominant object. The church was built in several phases. The first phase started in the 13-th century and the last finished in 1479. In 1554 a new tower was built (one of the highest towers in the Liptov region). Between 1620 and 1630 the church gained a new vault and a southern hall. The church was surrounded by a small stonewall with an entrance gate decorated by swallowtails at attic. In the church are well-preserved gothic vaults, windows, portals and a bust of a miner in aedicule from the 16-th century. The interior is in the baroque style. Behind the main neo-gothic altar, there is an older renaissance-baroque altar from the year 1620.
    The village is a suitable starting point for the hikes to the northern valleys in the Low Tatras, especially to the Ľupčianska Valley (Magurka, Železné).



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy