Ružomberok
   Text    Map    Google Map


    The city Ružomberok is situated at the junction of the river Váh and Revúca at the north-western edge of the Nízke Tatry (Low Tatras). It is a suitable starting point for the hikes to the Low Tatras, Veľká Fatra (Great Fatra) and Chočské Vrchy (Choč Hills).
    The area of today's Ružomberok was inhabited already in the Younger Bronze Age. This fact was proven by findings of sc. Lužitská and Púchovská culture from the beginning of our Dominion. After a Slavonic settlement was founded, German settlers came and became the ruling class.
    The first written reference about the city is from the year 1233. In 1318 lord Donč (following the example of Partizánska Ľupča) awarded the city municipal privileges that were later confirmed by the king Charles Robert in 1340. Among the common municipal privileges it also had a right to mine gold, silver and copper. From 1376 some other villages (such as Černová, Biely Potok, Vlkolínec and Ludrová) were added to the city. From 1526 the city was freed from the obligation to pay duties and it gained a privilege to organise weekly open markets. Thanks to all these privileges and a suitable location Ružomberok became an important centre of Liptov. In the 15-th century the administration was given to the hands of the local Slovak population. Crafts developed very well. Ružomberok became renowned by its guilds, industrial production, tinkers and raftsmen. During the World War II. the town was liberated by partisan troops and later occupied by the German soldiers again.
    In the city, there is a late-baroque monastery from the years 1727 - 1730 with a church that was built in 1806. In the church there are paintings from J. Hanula (a famous Slovak painter who lived in Spišská Nová Ves). A gothic parish church from the 14-th century (rebuilt in 1585, in the 18-th and 20-th century) is a unique cultural monument, too. Inside you will find paintings from J. Hanula and a gothic baptistery from the beginning of the 16-th century. Another interesting building is a manor-house of St. Žofia.
    Painter Ľudovít Fulla, doctor Dušan Makovický and priest Andrej Hlinka were born or lived in the city.

MAPS:
                   

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                           






Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy