Telgárt
   Text    Map    Google Map


    The village Telgárt is situated at the bottom of the southern slope of the Nízke Tatry (Low Tatras). The river Hron separates this territory from the Slovenské Rudohorie (Slovak Rudohorie). The village arose in the 14th century and belonged to the Muráň county. The first written reference about the village originates in 1326. The settlement arose at the spring of the Hron river, at the road allying Gemer with Spiš. It was founded by Šoltýs Mikuláš, son of Ladislav Kun from Spiš. During the lordship of István Koháry, inhabitants of Telgárt adopted the Greek-Catholic confession and in 1784, František Koháry built a church.
    During the World War II, on September 5, 1944 the German troops fired the valley off and 263 houses burnt up. Telgárt was liberated on January 27, 1945 by the Romanian army.
    The village keeps the old customs and traditions and the folk costume is still used today. It is distinctive, austere and adapted to mountain conditions. Telgárt is a suitable starting point for the hikes to the Kráľova hoľa mountain (altitude 1984 m).
    The Telgárt district is renowned for its splendid nature beauty such as - spring of the river Hron with the relief shelter Martalúzka - state national reservation, spring of the Hnilec creek, cave Homola and the Stratený potok (Lost Creek).
    There are two springs of earthy and gypsum acid water (sc. "kyselka" - a healing spring) in the village.
    In winter, there are very good conditions for rally skiing.

MAPS:
                 

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                               






Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy